August 14, 2010

Cool Cat

“The cat is the animal to whom the Creator gave the biggest eyes, the softest fur, the most supremely delicate nostrils, a mobile ear, an unrivaled paw and a curved claw borrowed from the rose-tree.” ~ Sidone Gabrielle

This week at The Wishful Lamb they are hosting an "cool cats" photo challenge.  My entry is of my favorite feline I've photographed - a shelter cat named Felix.  I recently gave this image the Lightroom treatment and am amazed at the results.



Although Felix is not my cat, I wanted to enter him to promote shelter animal adoptions.  While I photograph the dogs at a local shelter every Saturday...and am allergic to cats...I just couldn't resist snapping up a few images of Felix.  Can you see why?

If you are thinking of adding a furry friend to your family, please opt to adopt.  You would not believe the number of amazing dogs (approx 25% are purebreds!) and cats that are being dumped at shelters all across America due to families feeling the financial strain of the country's economic situation.  These animals are often housebroken, trained to walk on a leash, have great temperaments and are generally very well mannered.  Even the strays are amazing!

If adopting is not an option for you right now, then why not volunteer your time - once a month, once a week - and photograph the animals at a shelter near you?  The rewards are amazing, both for the animals and for yourself.  Check out my recent blog regarding this passion of mine and some of my favorite images I've taken over the past 2 years.  Rescued is the best breed!

Here are some links to help you get started:

Find a Shelter Near You

Tips for Photographing Shelter Animals

Shelter Photo Tips

Furtography


1 comment:

  1. Great message and beautiful photo. I can never get my cat to look right at me...and she has such beautiful green eyes.

    ReplyDelete