June 26, 2010

Pets

I cannot get enough of this photo of my four-legged baby girl, MacKenzie!  She is a rescued pit bull / rottweiler mix who was born at the Siskiyou Humane Society in Mt. Shasta, California and was the last of 8 pups to be adopted.  We are so glad she waited for us!  Hesitant at first to adopt a pit bull, she immediately put all the breed's bad rap to sleep.  She is an AMAZING dog - loyal, smart, athletic, strong, loves everyone and everything she meets, and is big on kissing and showing affection. (Sometimes it feels like she's bathing me.)

I love this picture of MacKenzie because it shows her happy personality with that huge smile!  All this image needed was a few simple edits...the rest is all MacKenzie.

Click on the image to enlarge (the better to see this beautiful face), back arrow to return.


Here are a few of my other favorite pet portraits I've taken this year...  My other pit bull mix, Dash.


A few shelter pets...Felix...


...and Angela


Got some free time?  Want to practice your photography skills?  I encourage you to volunteer your time photographing animals at your local shelter.  By photographing the animals and posting the images on the shelter's website next to each animals profile, you increase the animal's chance of adoption by a large percentage.  I've been doing this at a local high kill shelter nearly every Saturday for over 2 years, and it's one of the most rewarding ways I've ever spent my time.  Use your passion to make a difference...and save lives!



7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! This is an awesome photo!! I forgot it's pet week. I've got to get moving...

    Here's the winner link. You were actually very close. I LOVED your photo. Thanks so much for playing!
    http://thepapermama.blogspot.com/2010/06/and-talented-winner-is.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. MacKenzie! We recognized you over at IHeartFaces - Pet Week! And you do have a beautiful face!

    The Road Dogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,
    You asked me what I shoot with, and up till just a week ago, I was using a Canon Rebel XSI. I then got my new baby last week which is a Canon 5d markII. I decided to challenge myself to get good images with a semi pro camera, before going with the pro camera. It really made me learn my settings, and now with the 5d, I have more options, and I love it! Picture taking has never been so fun!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't pits the BEST dogs??
    Beautiful little girl!
    What a wonderful thing you're doing by photographing shelter animals! God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEST DOGS EVER!! I had no idea until I got to know some. I am so blessed to have two pit mixes in my life! They are the apples of my eye. :) Do you have a pet pit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ma'am! This is how my baby girl usually looks. But she had a major leg surgery last 2 weeks ago, and I haven't seen her smile since. It's killing me!! :(

    ReplyDelete