November 20, 2009

A Change of Pace

Life is constantly leading me in new directions. When I first moved to Georgia with my boyfriend, Jason, and our shelter dog, MacKenzie, I never imagined I'd wind up becoming so passionate about shelter dogs that I'd be volunteering my Saturdays at a local high kill shelter as a dog photographer. Just like I had no idea that photographing shelter dogs would lead to an intense passion about photography. I mean, I had always loved taking photos. I am the family member or the friend who always forces everyone to take time to capture the holiday, the special event, the milestone on camera. But something about working hard to capture a shelter dog's personality through his eyes and face - and then having those pictures be the reason a person comes in to adopt that dog and give him a forever home - drew me deep into the creative, emotional world of photography.

When my pocket Nikon point-and-shoot finally died, and I transitioned to my first Nikon DSLR, it changed me forever. The technology of the DSLR enabled me to take better, crisper, more vivid photos...the way I had always wanted my photos to look. It was insane. That was February. Since then, I've become quite the amateur photographer, my camera at my side wherever I go. Anything and everything is a good subject. I am currently taking workshops and working toward my certification in digital photography at the college where I work.

Early this year, I began a blog about my photography work at the shelter. Now that I've expanded my horizons and learned more about my craft, I thought it was time to expand the scope of my blog where all my photos could be displayed, shared, and critiqued, if people so choose. Yes, I will post shelter dog photos from time to time, but I also have much more to share with you these days. I hope you will enjoy this blog as much as I know I will enjoy creating it. Here's to embracing a new direction.



Peter, my first shelter dog subject.




Cowboy, who survived being slashed across the throat and his heartworm treatments, now resides on a yacht in Jekyll Island.




One of my favorites, Blue, is now happy in a forever home with two young boys.




Maddie, found her forever home in New Jersey with wealthy Ferrari dealer and his family.




Shy girl, Alissa, recently found her forever home with a wonderful family.


"Within every stray lies the singular desire to be loved."

No comments:

Post a Comment